DevLog #6 – The free alpha update is now available!
I’m very glad to announce that Destroy The Monoliths got an update on itch.io! You can now play the free alpha version of the game! So please head to my itch.io page and give it a try! I’m looking forward to hearing your feedback and suggestions 😉
New artwork and screenshots!
Discover the open alpha
This alpha version offers to experience a whole roguelike campaign, i.e. a set of 16 missions. During a mission, the player spawns in a randomly generated map and must destroy all the corrupted monoliths scattered around the map in order to win. If the player dies and cannot re-spawn anymore because their base core was destroyed, the mission is then lost and must be restarted. Through fighting, the player collects XP. Levels-up offer either temporary upgrades (better stats until the end of the mission), or new technologies (building blueprints, weapons, relics – acquired for the remainder of the campaign).
As the campaign progresses, maps get bigger, while enemies get stronger and more numerous, so missions get more challenging. But the player keeps all the technologies acquired in previous missions. You are thus better equipped to face the increased danger!
The following content is currently available:
- 36 possible map configurations (6 types x 6 biomes)
- 6 types of enemies
- 8 different weapons to mine and fight
- 21 different buildings (divided in 4 categories: attack turrets, status effect turrets, support buildings, and biome-specific buildings)
- 24 relics with unique effects
The game also offers:
- Controller support and fully remappable inputs
- Localization into English and French
What is next?
Lately, I worked a lot on adding content for the alpha. I now have a clear process and efficient tools to easily create more content in the future like new buildings, enemies, relics and weapons.
I also spent some time fixing issues and improving performances to make sure the game keeps running smoothly with a lot of action going on everywhere on the map. [Would you like to read a more technical devlog that explains the tricks I used to drastically increase the frame rate of the game? Tell me in the comments!]
My immediate plan for the next couple of weeks is to mainly promote this open alpha and collect player feedback. So please tell me what you think and what you like or don’t like in the game! It helps me a lot to refine the mechanics and make the game more fun to play.
Next, I plan to resume development and work on the following aspects:
- Add more weapons, more buildings and relics
- Add more enemies and refine the difficulty balance
- Enrich the exploration aspect with biome-specific traps, abandoned structures, events or modifiers
- Maybe add a final boss to complete the last mission of the campaign
- Add a journal with game stats, achievements and lore entries
Thanks for reading this devlog and your interest in my game Destroy The Monoliths! I hope you will enjoy this new alpha and see you next time for another devlog 😉